- Preoccupation with gambling and inability to stop
- Bragging about gambling, exaggerating wins and minimizing losses
- Restless and irritable when not gambling
- Gambling to escape
- Borrowing money for gambling
- Lying to hide time or money spent gambling or unpaid debts
- Frequent unexplained absences
- Losing work time because of gambling
- Doing something illegal to get money for gambling
- Jeopardizing a significant relationship or job by gambling
Where to Get Help
There are many state-supported problem gambling resources across the state. In fact, Louisiana is one of the few states in the nation offering a comprehensive variety of compulsive gambling treatment programs, from support groups to inpatient treatment centers.
For referral, call the toll-free Problem Gambling Helpline at 877-770-7867.
You can also visit the Department of Health and Hospitals' Office of Addictive Disorders' Web site for a complete list of Compulsive Gambling Treatment Programs.